2020 has been a crazy year for everyone, and this is especially true in the blockchain industry. We want to share a recap of a busy year for Moonbeam, with a lot of achievements that lay the groundwork for the launch of the network in 2021.
Let’s start with the most important milestones of the year!
April: Moonbeam Network Launch Announcement
PureStake announced the launch of Moonbeam, an Ethereum-compatible smart contract platform on the Polkadot network that simplifies the process of creating multi-chain applications.
August: Web3 Foundation Grant
We received a Web3 Foundation Grant to create the Web3-compliant RPC library that is now part of Frontier. This library allows devs to run native Ethereum tools on Moonbeam’s substrate-based network.
September: Moonbase Alpha and Seed Round
We announced the launch of our public TestNet, Moonbase Alpha. Moonbase Alpha allows developers to test the Moonbeam network’s Ethereum compatibility features with their decentralized applications without the need to run their own nodes or host their own network. Moonbase Alpha has had three major upgrades since its launch.
PureStake closed a $1.4M seed round for Moonbeam Network, which allowed the acceleration of its development to prepare the technology for the network’s release.
October: Developer Doc Site
We added tons of additional videos and tutorials to our developer docs site. On this site, you’ll find both high-level and technical information for developers, collators, end-users, and other Moonbeam network participants.
November: Moonbeam Ambassador Program
We launched our ambassador program. This program is open to everyone interested in being part of the Moonbeam Project and its growth. So far, the program has more than 300 applicants from 30 different countries.
Our team is continuously working on providing a better user experience for Moonbeam developers. These are some exciting features that we have made possible this year.
- Ethereum-style pub/sub capabilities: These new features made it possible for dApps, like wallets and block explorers, to receive updates about on-chain transactions, balances, and other critical data without needing to issue new queries.
- Moonbeam Truffle Box: This box allows developers to use a boilerplate setup on Truffle to get started deploying smart contracts on Moonbeam quickly.
- Unified Accounts: This functionality is unique to Moonbeam and is not available on other platforms, both in the Polkadot ecosystem and beyond. The unification of accounts improved Ethereum users’ experience by simplifying the process to interact with dApps and protocols on Moonbeam.
- Multiple collator support: The access of multiple collators to our network positively impacted the network’s decentralization and resilience. It was an essential step towards Moonbeam’s network launch.
New Partners and Projects Building on Moonbeam
Our ecosystem has grown significantly. We have many partners in multiple categories that allow our users to have more tools and benefits!
- Decentralized Exchanges: IDEX, SushiSwap, and Injective.
- Oracles: Chainlink and Band Protocol.
- Fundraising/Liquidity: Polimec and PolkaStarter.
- Distributed Marketplace: HUMAN Protocol.
- Gaming/Gambling: BetProtocol.
- Stablecoin: Equilibrium.
- Synthetic Assets: Linear Finance.
See the complete list of projects building on Moonbeam here.
That’s it for the 2020 Moonbeam Recap. It has been an exciting and successful year. We can’t wait for 2021 and the launch of our network!
[Animation by DanRun from Crypto Society as part of the Moonbeam Ambassador Program]
Subscribe to This Newsletter
Want to receive these updates via email? Enter your email below to sign up for our Moonbeam Monthly Dispatch newsletter.